The Election Commission of India shall be celebrating National Voters Day 2022 on 25th January 2022 and shall be the 12th celebration year.
The Election Commission encourages the day to be celebrated across the Country at the States, Districts, and Booth levels. The Commission has suggested the day to be celebrated keeping in mind the COIVD appropriate behavior and guidelines. All the programs should be organized in an ONLINE mode.
Every year the day is commemorated with a theme to empower the Indian Citizen. Thus, this year’s is “Making Elections Inclusive, Accessible and Participative”.
History about National Voters’ Day:
The National Voters’ Day celebration was initiated in the year 2011 by the then President of India, Pratibha Devi Patil, on the 61st foundation day of the Election Commission of India.
The Election Commission of India is an autonomous body under the ownership of the Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India. It is formed on 25th January 1950, by the Constitution of India directly to ensure free and fair elections in the country.
The objective of celebrating voter’s day is to raise awareness of the importance of voting, especially among those who shall be voting for the first time.
In a democracy, it is the voting process that helps to form the Government, either at the State or Country Level.
As per the Indian Constitution, all Indian citizens who are above 18 years of age and have registered themselves as voters are eligible to cast their vote. These individuals are entitled to vote in national, state, district as well as local government body elections.
Important Facts To Remember:-
- The Election Commission in India was formed on 25th January 1950.
- The First Chief Election Commissioner of India was Mr. Sukumar Sen. His service period was from 21st March 1950 to 19th December 1958.
- The First Woman Chief Election Commissioner of India was Smt. V.S. Ramadevi. She is the only lady Chief Election Commissioner of India to date.
- The Commission started celebrating National Voters Day on 25th January 2011.
- Any eligible voter can vote in the registered constituency only, and nowhere else.
- All the registerd voters are provide with the Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) or simply called as Voter Id. This is also accepted as the Prof of Addresses in many places.
Know Your Candidate (KYC):-
All the voters have the “Right To Know” about the candidates in their constituency. Hence the Election Commission has developed a mobile application “Know your Candidate (KYC)” for informing about the criminal history of candidates. The application is available on both Android and iOS platforms.
The app users can browse candidates’ history which empowers them to know their candidates better.
The Know Your Candidate (KYC) is available on both the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Please ensure you are downloading and installing the application provided by the Election Commission only.
Except for the KYC application, the Commission has also released various applications like Nodal App – Election Permission, Booth App, Voter Helpline App, The person with Disabilities App, etc. for the voter’s assistance. Click here to know more about these apps.
Election Commission’s Website:-
Click here to visit the Commission Website.
Schools Responsibility in National Voters Day 2022:
- We would really appriacte if the School Management can organize online programs for the Staff and Senior Students (Class 10 – 12) to spread awareness about the National Voters Day.
Read more ‘General‘ news on dailyschoolsnews.com.